Now. Having said that…bananas do get a little exciting when you do something with them – frozen and added to a smoothie, for instance, or blended into tofu pudding, or mashed and added to muffin batter, or – the best way of all – caramelized. The flavor takes on a whole new rich and decadent dimension. Roasting brings out the tropical in the banana. Which is what makes these simple cakes so delicious. I put these together as I was making lunch yesterday so that they’d be finished in time for us to have with our post-lunch latte (Kel) and Choffy (me). And, the recipe can be easily doubled in case you have more mouths to feed. Mouths that either love or just kinda like bananas. Hey, it’s your duty to get your daily banana!Print
Sweet little cakes for two that bake up while you eat lunch or dinner.
- 2 Tbsp. vegan “butter,” divided
- 2 Tbsp. prune puree
- 2 tsp. maple sugar
- 2 Tbsp. pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 banana, sliced into 1/4” rounds
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. cardamom
- pinch salt
- 3 Tbsp. maple sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp. water (whisk together and set aside for a minute)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- In a small microwave-safe measuring cup, melt 1 tablespoon of the “butter.” Stir in the prune puree and divide the mixture between two ramekins. Sprinkle with pecans and then layer the banana slices over the pecans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cardamom and the pinch of salt. In another small bowl, cream together the remaining tablespoon of “butter” and the maple sugar. Add the flaxseed meal mixture and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Stir in the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the two ramekins and bake for about 25 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edges of the ramekins, then carefully invert the cakes onto plates.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 376
- Sugar: 22
- Sodium: 80
- Fat: 19
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 52
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 31