This is another recipe that I adapted from Cooking Light’s Fresh Food Fast, opting to make my own “refried” beans rather than using canned. It’s really not a whole lot more time or effort to make one’s own and the taste is so much better and fresher – and you can control the seasonings. Instead of a mess o’ cheese on top, I used luscious cashew cream.
I do not include the recipe for cashew cream here because 1) just about every vegan has his or own version, and 2) my version came straight from Vegan Yum Yum.Print
Easy, delicious comfort food with a kick! Poblanos stuffed with rice and “refried” beans and topped with rich cashew cream. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 4 large poblano chiles, cut in half and seeded
- 1–2 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos, vegetable broth, beer or water
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4 ounce can green chiles
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chile powder
- 1/4 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup+ cashew cream* (or use your favorite vegan shredded cheese)
- Pop the poblano chiles in the microwave for a few minutes, just to soften a little. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the Liquid Aminos (or broth, beer or water) until onion is soft. Add the green chiles, cumin, chile powder and coriander powder and saute for a minute or two. Stir in the pinto beans, lower the heat and cover the pot. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and mash the beans to desired consistency. Stir in the brown rice, picante sauce and cilantro.
- Line a baking dish with foil and place the poblano chile halves in the dish. Divide the bean mixture between the chiles and top with cashew cream. Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the chiles rest for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with additional fresh cilantro and serve with salsa fresca and limes.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 534
- Fat: 2
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 56
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 0