My mom’s classic egg salad sandwich reimagined with plant-based ingredients. Tangy, crunchy and totally satisfying.
- 1 14-ounce package firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained (overnight is ideal)
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise or other vegan mayo (or try unsweetened plain vegan yogurt)
- 1/4 tsp. dried dill
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. pepperoncini, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. kala namak or fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices whole grain bread or 4 Whole Wheat Pita Breads
- lettuce, tomato, sprouts, avocado, for topping
- Slice the tofu block in half. For one half cut into 1/4″ slices lengthwise, then into 1/4″ pieces width-wise – so you have small cubes. Put the cubes in a large mixing bowl. Now, crumble the other half of the tofu block into the bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir gently to combine.
- When ready to serve, slice the pitas in half and lay in with the tofu salad and toppings. Serve alongside a big scoop of Roasted Bell Pepper & Olive Salad (recipe below).
- The kala namak gives this salad a slightly eggy flavor, but if you don’t have some on hand, just use regular salt.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 553
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 941
- Fat: 37
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 30
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 42
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 12