Who says fruit can’t be a salad? Sweet fresh fruit gets dressed up with basil and coconut.
- 1/4 cup date sugar (or maple sugar, maple syrup or white sugar, if desired)
- 1/4–1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. lime zest
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 1 mango, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, cut into quarters
- 2 kiwi, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
- unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water. (If using date sugar, you will need more water. Date sugar does not dissolve and become clear like white sugar so you will end up with a thick mixture.) Bring to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil leaves and lime zest. Set aside to cool.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl and discard solids. If using date sugar, press the mixture gently to extract liquid. You should end up with a 1/4 cup or so of thick liquid. Set aside.
- Combine the fruit in a large bowl, drizzle with sugar mixture and toss gently. Sprinkle servings with toasted coconut.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 28
- Sodium: 20
- Fat: 22
- Saturated Fat: 19
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 41
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0