As fun as seven days of salad were – – I’m ready for something different! What better way to dive back in than to share something crunchy, chocolatey and slightly sweet to go along with one’s afternoon tea or coffee? Without further ado:
Coffee-cacao biscotti! Be sure to check out my Chocolate Biscotti with Chocolate Chips & Goji Berries, too!
Oil-free Coffee-Cacao Biscotti
These not-too-sweet, crunchy biscotti are tailor-made for an afternoon coffee or tea break.
- Yield: 1 1x
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. powdered stevia
- 1/3 cup coconut or maple sugar
- 1 Tbsp. freshly ground coffee beans
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup freshly-brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs (or use vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ground coffee, salt and powdered stevia.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut/maple sugar, coffee, non-dairy milk, vanilla extract and flaxseed meal. Set aside to thicken slightly.
- Pour the coffee mixture into the flour mixture and stir well. Fold in the cacao nibs.
- Pat the batter into an approximately 6-inch x 10-inch rectangle. Bake for 35 minutes, remove from oven and let sit on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Cut into 1/2″ thick slices and place, cut side down, back onto the baking sheet.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325-degrees F. Bake biscotti for 10 minutes, then turn them over and bake the other side for an additional 10 minutes. Cookies should feel firm with a slightly soft center. They will crisp as they cool.
- Remove biscotti from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle, dip or brush with melted vegan chocolate, if desired. (Calorie count will go up…just saying.)
- Serving Size: 14
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 92
- Fat: 2
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0