These not-too-sweet, crunchy biscotti are tailor-made for an afternoon coffee or tea break.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. powdered stevia
- 1/3 cup coconut or maple sugar
- 1 Tbsp. freshly ground coffee beans
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup freshly-brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs (or use vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ground coffee, salt and powdered stevia.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut/maple sugar, coffee, non-dairy milk, vanilla extract and flaxseed meal. Set aside to thicken slightly.
- Pour the coffee mixture into the flour mixture and stir well. Fold in the cacao nibs.
- Pat the batter into an approximately 6-inch x 10-inch rectangle. Bake for 35 minutes, remove from oven and let sit on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Cut into 1/2″ thick slices and place, cut side down, back onto the baking sheet.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325-degrees F. Bake biscotti for 10 minutes, then turn them over and bake the other side for an additional 10 minutes. Cookies should feel firm with a slightly soft center. They will crisp as they cool.
- Remove biscotti from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle, dip or brush with melted vegan chocolate, if desired. (Calorie count will go up…just saying.)
- Serving Size: 14
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 92
- Fat: 2
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0