For a long time, I thought that good fried rice was available only in Asian restaurants. But my problem with restaurant fried rice is that it’s loaded with added fat, salt, prepared with white rice and I can’t really feel confident that it’s vegan. So if I want fried rice, it has to come out of my own kitchen. Enter Mark Bittman. I modify his recipe for fried rice from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I omit the oil (and egg) and use baked tofu and the veggies I have on hand. That’s the beauty of a dish like fried rice. Not only can you tweak it to your own tastes, but also to what you have in the refrigerator and cupboard.
Oil-free Vegetable Fried Rice with Tofu
Better than restaurant fried rice because you decide what goes in it – – and it’s oil-free, but full of flavor.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30
- 4 cups cooked brown basmati, brown jasmine or regular brown rice
- vegetable broth or water as needed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups fresh vegetables, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups baked or pan-seared tofu, cut into ~1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced, grated or microplaned
- 1/4–1/3 cup dry sherry or mirin
- 4 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- ground black pepper to taste
- Have all of your veggies cut and liquids ready to go before you fire up your skillet or wok.
- Heat skillet/wok over high heat. Splash in a little vegetable broth and add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the vegetables. Lower heat a little bit and stir, adding more broth as needed to prevent sticking. Cook for about 5 minutes, letting the broth cook off so that you get a little browning on the vegetables. You want the vegetables to be crisp-tender. Remove veggies and onion to a bowl or plate.
- Add another big splash of broth to the pan and stir in the garlic and ginger, cooking for about 30 seconds. Start adding the rice a little at a time, breaking up any clumps. Stir and add broth as needed. Once you have all of the rice in the pan, stir until it starts sticking. Now add the tofu and the cooked veggies to the pan along with the sherry. Cook for about 1 minute. Add the soy sauce and black pepper. Turn off the heat and add the scallions.
- Divide rice between four big bowls and sprinkle with your toppings of choice.
Some suggested garnishes/toppings
- Fresh cilantro, Thai basil and/or basil, minced
- Scallions, chopped
- Avocado, diced
- Tofu “scrambled egg,” roughly chopped
- A healthy squirt of fresh lime juice
- Hot sauce of choice
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 950
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 636
- Fat: 12
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 179
- Protein: 32
- Cholesterol: 0