It’s not as if I lie awake at night thinking of ways to combine peanut butter and jelly. It just seems that way. I really do like the combination, obviously. (For instance, yesterday’s breakfast was peanut butter and jelly waffles from the indispensable book, The Complete Guide to Vegan Substitutions, by Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman. If you don’t have it, I highly recommend it not only for the substitutions – meat, dairy, sugar, fat, eggs – but for the creative recipes.) Being in shortbread mode did nothing to stop me from cogitating the classic duo.Print
The classic flavors of your favorite childhood sandwich in a crisp, buttery shortbread. No refined sugar and completely, 100% vegan.
- 8 Tbsp. vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 8–12 Tbsp. natural peanut butter (I used PB2 to cut down on the fat content)
- 1/4 cup maple sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. powdered stevia (such as NuNaturals)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the stevia, salt, whole wheat pastry flour and quinoa flour.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, peanut butter, maple sugar and vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides and with the mixer on low, carefully add the flour mixture until it comes together like pie dough. Add the dried cherries and process a bit more. If it seems too crumbly, add a 1/4 cup or so of water.
- Pat the dough into a thick rectangle, cover in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out (I divided the dough in two to make it easier) to a little over 1/4″ thick. Cut or slice into desired shapes and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes – rotating pans halfway through – or until crisp and browned lightly. Let sit on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Yield is dependent on how big you cut the cookies.
- Serving Size: 18
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 78
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 18
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 14