Like a chocolate-covered cherry in a glass – with the added nutritional benefit of spinach.
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 very ripe bananas, sliced and frozen
- 3 Tbsp. powdered unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp. coffee, optional
- liquid or powdered stevia (or your favorite sweetener), to taste
- 1 15-ounce can pitted, tart cherries (packed in water, not syrup), drained well and frozen (or one 12-ounce bag of frozen sweet cherries)
- A big handful of baby spinach or kale
- cacao nibs for topping, optional
- Put everything (except the cacao nibs) in a high-speed blender in the order listed and blend until smooth. It’s just that easy. Add more liquid as needed to get the ingredients moving.
- Divide smoothie between three glasses and sprinkle with cacao nibs.
- The coffee is optional – – but oh my, it deepens the chocolate flavor!
- This is not a low calorie smoothie. To lighten it up, use water instead of non-dairy milk.
- Serving Size: 3
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 23
- Sodium: 175
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 49
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 0