There’s nothing quite like pilfering a recipe – especially when you shamelessly pilfer one of your own recipes. At least I’m giving myself credit – it’s just blogging etiquette. These pancakes were inspired by my very own Virtual Vegan Potluck contribution for Mocha Spice Cake. Even as I stirred the batter for that cake, I was dreaming of these pancakes. But don’t limit yourself – this batter would make awesome waffles as well.
What you’ll need:Print
Mocha Spice Pancakes
Like eating cake for breakfast! Spicy, fluffy mocha spice pancakes that are dairy- and oil-free.
- Yield: 16 1x
- 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. Dandy Blend or Cafix (powdered herbal coffee substitute)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 large very ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 6 Tbsp. water (whisk together and then let sit for a few minutes)
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple sugar
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1 Tbsp. crystallized ginger, chopped
- toasted pecans, optional
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. Dandy Blend (or instant espresso powder, a dash of strong coffee or a few drops of coffee flavoring)
- dash cinnamon
Make the pancakes
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, almond meal, cocoa, Dandy Blend, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. In a smaller bowl, combine the banana, vanilla extract, nut milk, maple sugar and flaxseed meal. Stir in the cacao nibs and the crystallized ginger.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Let the batter sit for about 15 minutes.
- Ladle big spoonfuls of the batter onto a hot griddle that has been lightly spritzed with cooking oil. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the cake, carefully flip, and cook for a few minutes. Keep cooked pancakes in a warm oven (along with your plates) while you cook the remaining batter.
Make the syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup, Dandy Blend and cinnamon and heat until toasty hot.
- Serve pancakes with chopped pecans and the syrup.