You don’t need eggs to create this soul-satisfying breakfast! Whisk together a few ingredients, add a touch of orange and spice and you have delicious, crispy-tender French toast!
- 4–6 slices thick, whole-grain bread (I leave the slices out overnight to firm up)
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for a few hours
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- zest of 1/2 an orange
- sweetener to taste (I used a few dashes of stevia powder)
- cacao nibs, optional
- sliced strawberries, optional
- Rinse and drain the cashews, then put into a blender along with everything but the orange zest. Blend until very smooth – give it a minute or two. Pour the mixture into a deep-sided baking pan and stir in the orange zest.
- Don’t forget to warm some plates in a 200-degree oven. French toast loves warm plates!
- Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat. I spritz mine very lightly with oil.
- Dip the slices of bread into the chocolate-cashew mixture and then carefully place in the heated pan. Brown on one side – be patient and don’t cook too quickly. Then gently flip and brown on the other side. Keep toast warm in the warm oven while you cook the remaining slices.
- Serve with cacao nibs, strawberries and warm maple syrup.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 127
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 0