I’ve been sticking like (well, something like) glue to my Sweets Only On Days That Begin With An S commitment, but even on those days, I’m finding that I don’t have a craving for over-the-top, sugary, calorie bombs. And – I don’t have the freezer space to store leftovers. Which is why desserts for two are perfect – especially desserts for two that don’t require the oven. No sugar, no oil, completely unrefined and jam-packed with flavor. These cakes rise to double their size and have a spongecake-like texture.
P.S. On Thursday (June 6) I will be posting a review about and a recipe from Kathy Hester’s new cookbook, The Great Vegan Bean Book – and you’ll have a chance to enter to win a copy of this fabulous cookbook.
With a handful of whole food ingredients and about 5 minutes, you can serve up a delicious oil-free, sugar-free dessert for you and your sweetie or friend.
- 8 Tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp. hazelnut meal
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp. poppyseeds
- zest of half an orange
- 5 dates, chopped
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 6 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp. orange extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2–3 strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- your favorite sweetener (I use stevia), to taste
- 1/4 tsp berry extract (I use raspberry), optional
- ~1/2 cup of water
- Lightly oil two ramekins. Set aside.
- Combine the strawberries, blueberries, sweetener, and extract in a bowl and stir. Let this mixture sit for a few hours if you have the time – they just taste better!
- In a small bowl, soak the dates in the water, coconut milk, and the two extracts. Process this mixture in a blender and set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, coconut flakes, poppyseeds and orange zest. Pour the nut milk/date mixture in with the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Divide the mixture between the two ramekins and place in a microwave to cook. This can take between 3 and 5 minutes, depending on how powerful your microwave is. Test interior of cakes with a toothpick.
- Carefully remove the cakes from the ramekins, slice in half and top with berries.
- I’ll bet this would be even better with some coconut whipped cream on top.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 487
- Sugar: 46
- Sodium: 88
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 10
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 85
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 0