At first blush (much like the soft rosy hue at the center of these pancakes), this recipe comes across as mildly fussy, but it comes together pretty quickly, especially if you use the overnight method. And it’s worth it cuz you end up with a pretty little center of pink in your pancakes.
Coming in at Number 13 on 29 Ways to Honor the Glory of Peanut Butter and Jelly, featuring The Roasted Root’s gluten-free pancakes.
The nutty-sweet combination of peanut butter and jelly is a no-brainer for breakfast. Bring them together in these pretty pancakes.
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1+ cup water
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup smooth or crunchy natural peanut butter
- 1 overripe banana
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. peanut butter extract, optional
- 1 3/4 cup gluten-free mix (I use Bob’s Red Mill’s brand)
- 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 4 dates, soaked and drained
- 3/4 cup fruit-sweetened strawberry preserves
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients except the peanut butter extract and the strawberry preserves and process until very smooth. Pour about 2/3 of the batter into an air-tight container and stir in the peanut butter extract, if using. Seal and place in the refrigerator.
- Add the strawberry preserves to the blender and process until very smooth. Pour batter into another air-tight container, seal and place in the refrigerator.
- In the morning, warm your plates in a 200F oven. Get the griddle or pan heating.
- Pour the batters into separate bowls and add water if needed. The strawberry batter gets especially thick. When the griddle is hot, lightly spritz it with oil and drop about a 1/4 cup of peanut butter batter onto the surface. Swirl it a bit to enlarge it, then drop a heaping tablespoonful of strawberry batter into the center and gently swirl it a bit. Repeat this process – turning pancakes after a few minutes and browning on the other side -until all of the pancakes are cooked.
- Keep pancakes warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries, chopped peanuts and – – peanut butter.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 343
- Sugar: 35
- Sodium: 209
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 52
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 2