Soak your steel-cut oats overnight and in the morning add ginger, apricots, cinnamon, and peanut butter for a warming, filling meal that will keep you fueled until lunchtime.
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- zest of 1/2 an orange
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- roasted peanuts, chopped, for garnish
- Combine the steel-cut oats and the 2 cups water in a medium-sized saucepan and let sit for several hours or overnight.
- Place 4-5 ramekins on a small baking dish and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Turn the heat on to medium-high and bring oats and water to a boil. Turn down the hit to a simmer and cook the oats until tender, between 5-10 minutes, adding more water if the mixture becomes too dry. Stir in the ginger, apricots, cinnamon, peanut butter, salt, and orange zest.
- When the peanut butter has been fully incorporated, remove the oats from the heat and stir in the milk.
- Divide the oats between the ramekins and bake for 10 minutes. Top the oatmeal with dollops of your favorite jam or jelly, sprinkle with chopped peanuts and additional milk and serve.
- Serving Size: 3
- Calories: 483
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 112
- Fat: 20
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 14
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 63
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 0