Yeah, so things went a little haywire yesterday as many of you probably noticed from the deluge of emails from An Unrefined Vegan… I’m sorry about that; explaining how it happened would take up a lot more of your precious time, so I’ll just leave it at my sincere apology. At any rate, there are still lots of little bugs to fix on my new site, but I’m really pleased with how it looks. Let me know what you think!
Appetizers are not my forte. It’s the reason I’ve thus far avoided contributing a dish to that category for the Virtual Vegan Potluck. Waaaay too much competition! But I was inspired by the So Delicious Dairy Free 3 Course Recipe Contest to give it a go. These are light, fresh, and simple to make.
Light and fresh, these colorful bites make a great appetizer or snack. A creamy sweet potato “mousse” is spiced up with curry powder and then dolloped onto crisp, raw slices of fresh cucumbers or zucchini.
Mousse (makes ~1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup plain coconut yogurt (I used So Delicious Brand)
- 1/8 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, roasted, cooled, and peeled (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut milk (I used So Delicious brand)
- juice of 1 lime
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- splash Sriracha or other hot sauce
- 2–3 large cucumbers or zucchinis
Garnish (makes ~1 cup)
- 2 radishes, roughly chopped
- ~T tbsp. red onion, roughly chopped
- 2–3 baby carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely-packed cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
Make the mousse
- Put all of the ingredients in a blender and process until very smooth. Set aside until ready to assemble the appetizers.
Make the garnish
- Place everything but the coconut flakes in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the vegetables are finely and evenly chopped. Scrape mixture into a small bowl and stir in the coconut flakes.
Make the appetizers
- Slice the cucumbers and zucchini into 1/4-inch rounds. Place a scoop of mousse on top of each slice and sprinkle with some of the garnish. Serve.
- Serving Size: 15
- Calories: 49
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 26
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 1