Healthy and hearty mushroom nut burgers that will satisfy anyone’s need for juicy, flavorful sandwich. This recipe from Jazzy Vegetarian hits the spot!
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed, fresh soft whole-grain bread crumbs (from about 3 to 4 large slices)
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning or all-purpose seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp. reduced-sodium tamari or 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375-degrees F. Line a medium baking pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- Put the bread crumbs, Italian or all-purpose seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl. Put the walnuts in a blender and process in pulses until they resemble coarsely ground flour. Add the walnuts to the bread crumbs and stir gently to incorporate. Put the mushrooms, onion, and tamari in a blender and process to a chunky puree. Add the mushroom mixture to the walnut-bread crumb mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Place a 3-inch cookie ring on the parchment. Pack one quarter of the mushroom-bread crumb mixture into the ring and press it firmly and evenly into the ring to form a “burger.” Gently remove the ring. Repeat with the remaining mushroom-bread crumb mixture.
- Flatten each burger slightly with the back of a flat spatula. Bake for 18 minutes. Flip each burger and bake for an additional 15 to 25 minutes, or until the burgers are slightly crisp and golden.
- Serve on toasted whole-grain buns, topped with lettuce, tomato, sweet onion, mustard and catsup.
- This recipe shared with permission from Laura Theodore and BenBella.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 98
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 166
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0