I imagine that when Robin Robertson put the finishing touches on Vegan Planet and sent it off one final time to her editor, she breathed a big sigh of relief and satisfaction and thought to herself: “That’s it; I’m beat. That’s the last cookbook I’m ever going to write!” Vegan Planet is perfectly named because, well, it is massive! (To give you an idea, I counted TWELVE chili recipes.) This incredible plant-based resource first hit bookshelves in 2003 with over 425 recipes. And it really does cover cuisines from across the globe. VP has been updated a bit and those of us who missed it the first time around are now discovering this treasure trove.
I’ve been a big fan of Robin’s for a while now, with The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook, Quick-Fix Vegan, and Nut-Butter Universe gracing my cookbook library. They are all well-thumbed and dog-eared. So I was confident that whatever I made from Vegan Planet, it would be delicious.
A big thank you to Robin and Harvard Common Press for allowing me to reprint the highly snackable Three-Seed Lemon Tea Bread here – and for giving me a review copy of Vegan Planet and one to give away. To enter, scroll to the bottom of this post. It’s open for those of you living in the U.S. and Canada and ends at midnight CT May 2.
While we are talking giveaways, if you’re a fan of sprouting, gardening, photography, and Todd’s Seeds, think about entering their photo contest. The winner will receive $100 in store credit. Visit their Facebook page for all of the details!
“A fresh lemon taste is the backdrop for this protein-packed tea bread loaded with three kinds of nutritious seeds. The light, not-too-sweet flavor makes it a terrific breakfast bread.” Makes 1 loaf
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseeds
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1/2 cup natural sugar
- 1 cup plain unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. neutral vegetable oil
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped hulled raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 5-inch x 9-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Grind the flaxseeds to a powder in a dry blender. Add the water and blend until thick, about 30 seconds.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, nondairy milk, oil, and lemon juice and zest. Blend in the flaxseed mixture and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a few swift strokes, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in the sunflower seeds and sesame seeds, then transfer to the prepared pan.
- Bake on the center oven rack until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack before removing from the pan and slicing.
- Three-Seed Lemon Tea Bread from Vegan Planet
- Recipe © 2014 by Robin Robertson and used by permission of The Harvard Common Press
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 13
- Sodium: 323
- Fat: 12
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 0