“A fresh lemon taste is the backdrop for this protein-packed tea bread loaded with three kinds of nutritious seeds. The light, not-too-sweet flavor makes it a terrific breakfast bread.” Makes 1 loaf
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseeds
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1/2 cup natural sugar
- 1 cup plain unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. neutral vegetable oil
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped hulled raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 5-inch x 9-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Grind the flaxseeds to a powder in a dry blender. Add the water and blend until thick, about 30 seconds.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, nondairy milk, oil, and lemon juice and zest. Blend in the flaxseed mixture and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a few swift strokes, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in the sunflower seeds and sesame seeds, then transfer to the prepared pan.
- Bake on the center oven rack until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack before removing from the pan and slicing.
- Three-Seed Lemon Tea Bread from Vegan Planet
- Recipe © 2014 by Robin Robertson and used by permission of The Harvard Common Press
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 13
- Sodium: 323
- Fat: 12
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 0