As I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to appreciate breakfast more and more, especially on those mornings when I wake up with a growling stomach (most mornings…). So this makes Angela’s (Canned Time) Breakfast in Bed Fest right up my alley! You can probably guess what my contribution is gonna be, right??
Below is the recipe for the pancake and waffle mix I contributed. It can be prepared Plain Jane – or – it can be tweaked, customized, and adapted to your own favorite flavors. To get you started, I’ve included three variations: apple/cinnamon, orange poppyseed, and chocolate brownie. For all of the recipes and photos, please visit Canned Time and while you’re there, be sure to visit the earlier BiB entries – they are all delicious!
Whisk up a batch of this versatile, adaptable waffle/pancake mix, then store it in your refrigerator until you are ready to make a delicious, healthy plant-based breakfast.
- 3 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups dark rye flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (not “polenta”)
- 1/2 cup whole grain teff flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 4 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 4 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. stevia powder, optional
- 1 tsp. salt, optional
Wet Ingredients (per 2 cup batch)
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, prune puree, or one large very ripe banana
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined. Divide the batch among four containers or plastic bags – about 2 cups per container/bag.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Wet ingredients obviously do not get stirred into the waffle/pancake mix until you are ready to make a batch to cook and eat.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 358
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 440
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 70
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 0