The author discovered this unique pie only fairly recently. It goes by the name “Muslim Bean Pie” in many places. However, this is not an authentic Muslim recipe because some of the spices are not allowed within stricter sects of the religion.
- 2⁄3 cup soy or rice milk powder mixed with 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup and 1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed into 1⁄4 cup and 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups of cooked navy beans
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 9-inch pie shell, unbaked (either prebought vegan option or homemade)
- While preparing the rest of the recipe, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the soy or rice milk and water with the ground flax seeds and water until it becomes smooth and thick.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except the pie shell and blend until creamy and you no longer see chunks of beans. If needed, scrape the sides of the blender/food processor and blend again.
- Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 35 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the center of the pie comes out clean. If there is cracking on the top of your pie, it is probably done. If the edges of the pie crust begin to get too dark, you can cover them with tin foil.
- Pie can be served warm out of the oven or cold.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 534
- Sugar: 53
- Sodium: 2522
- Fat: 18
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 14
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 86
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 0