Roasting sweet apricots adds complexity to their flavor and brings out their juiciness. Stirred into cool, creamy custard, they make for the quintessential summer pie.
- 1 9-inch pre-baked gluten-free, whole wheat pie crust, or raw crust
- 4 fresh apricots, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for an hour or so, rinsed and drained
- 4 medjool dates, soaked with the cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp. agar powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425-degrees. Put the apricot chunks in a baking dish and toss with the maple syrup and cinnamon. Bake, stirring once or twice, for about 15 minutes. The apricots should be soft and just starting to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, put the apricots in the prepared pie crust. Set aside.
- In a high-speed blender, process the cashews, dates, coconut milk, arrowroot powder and agar powder until very smooth. You don’t want any cashew or dates pieces left. Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and whisk constantly over medium heat for about 5 minutes. The mixture will thicken and turn glossy. Remove pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the custard over the apricots in the pie crust, smoothing so that it reaches the edges of the pie. Tap on the counter a few times to remove bubbles, then place the pie in the refrigerator to set – about 3 hours.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 289
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 129
- Fat: 19
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 0