Simple, delicious, and loaded with nutrients, serve up some Greens & Matcha Soup topped with crispy pan-seared tofu for lunch today!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaped teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch ground black pepper
- 5 packed cups chopped fresh kale (or other green)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 cup loose-packed fresh cilantro
- 1 13.5-ounce (400mL) can light coconut milk
- In a medium-sized pot, sauté the onion and potato in a splash of water or vegetable broth. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water/broth as necessary to prevent the vegetables from sticking. Stir in the garlic, ginger, cayenne, and black pepper and sauté for another minute or two.
- Stir in the kale and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a boil, turn down heat to gentle simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and matcha. At this point, I let the soup cool a bit before putting it into a blender – but you could use an immersion blender, too. Either way, the end product should be a silky-smooth.
- If you used a blender, return the soup to the pot and stir in the coconut milk. Gently warm to heat through.
- Divide soup between four deep bowls and top with tofu croutons(recipe below).
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 915
- Fat: 22
- Saturated Fat: 18
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 0