Ring in the New Year or any other day with these oil-free, plant-based sliders topped with garlicky greens and a spicy vegan aioli sauce.
- 2 cups cooked black eyed peas or 1 15.5-ounce (439g) can of black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped into chunks
- 1 rib celery, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 8 button mushrooms, stemmed and cut in half (or use 1 cup cooked brown rice*)
- 1 spicy chipotle vegan sausage (I like Field Roast brand), cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro
- ~2 1/2 cups steamed greens
- Smoky Lemon Aioli Sauce (recipe below)
- 10 Cracked Wheat-Pumpkin Topknots
- Put the beans in a large bowl and mash, leaving a few whole beans. Stir in the flaxseed meal, liquid smoke, maple syrup and all of the spices and seasonings. Set aside.
- Place the onion, celery, red bell pepper, garlic, mushrooms and vegan sausage in a medium skillet with a generous splash of water, vegetable broth and/or liquid aminos. Sauté on medium-high heat until veggies are softened, about 6 minutes. Let cool slightly, then scrape into the bowl of a food processor. (*If using brown rice in place of mushrooms, do not add to the food processor. Stir into the bean mixture whole.) Add the rolled oats and parsley/cilantro. Pulse until the ingredients are broken down into small pieces.
- Add the vegetable mixture into the bean mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate for several hours so that it firms up.
- Heat a pan or large electric skillet and lightly spritz with cooking oil. Using a 1/3 cup measure, scoop up the mixture, pat down, and than gently tap the patty into the palm of your hand. Add the patty to the hot skillet and continue forming the remaining mixture. Cook sliders for about 5 minutes or until browned, then carefully turn to brown the other side.
- To make the greens, sauté fresh kale and spinach in a splash of vegetable broth and/or liquid aminos until tender. Add minced garlic and black pepper and continued to sauté for a few more minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until needed.
- To make the sandwiches, split the rolls and lightly toast. Schmear one side of each roll with Smoky Lemon Aioli Sauce and place a slider on top; load about 1/4 cup of greens onto the slider and top with the other half of the roll.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 102
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 48
- Protein: 19
- Cholesterol: 6