This slightly sweet and crunchy combination makes a satisfying luncheon salad or festive first course for a holiday meal. The lemon tenderizes the kale, transforming it into a delightful alternative to your everyday green salad. Pair this appealing dish with crusty bread to enhance the delicate flavors. – Laura
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 6–8 cups very thinly sliced, lightly packed curly kale, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Sea salt, to taste (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste (optional)
- To make the dressing, put the lemon juice and maple syrup in a small bowl and briskly whisk until smooth.
- Put the kale, cranberries (or cherries), and walnuts in a large bowl. Pour about three-quarters of the dressing over the salad and toss gently until the kale, cranberries (or cherries), and walnuts are evenly coated. Taste and add the remaining dressing, if desired.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving. Just before serving, top with a few grinds of sea salt and pepper, if desired.
- Recipe shared with permission from Laura Theodore and Jazzy Vegetarian.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 16
- Sodium: 93
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0