Despite the minor unseasonal temperature blip happening in Oklahoma this week (we’ve had temps in the 60s – lovely!), we’re still deep in soup season. (Truly, it’s always soup season for me, but…) Like all good soups, this one has simple ingredients that most of us have on hand, takes a minimum of effort to produce something satisfying and delicious, makes one’s belly happy, and takes the edge off of the chilliest chills. Roasting the potatoes, onions, celery, and garlic adds depth of flavor that you just don’t get when you sauté them. I highly recommend taking this “extra” step. Now, let’s talk about a couple of the ingredients.
- daily consumption of the humble spud may help lower blood pressure
- the lectins in potatoes apparently inhibit cancer cell growth
- get yer vitamin C and B6, plus potassium, zinc, niacin, and shot of fiber for good measure
- B12, of course!!
- a complete protein that is loaded with 18 amino acids and 15 different minerals
- may enhance immunity and lower cholesterol
- P.S. don’t let anyone tell you it’s not vegan…
Creamy Vegan Roasted Potato Soup
Vegan comfort food at its best: a creamy roasted potato soup to fill you up and warm you up on the coldest winter days.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 85
- 4–5 large potatoes (I use a combination of red-skinned & yellow potatoes and I leave on the skin), cubed
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- sprinkle of smoked paprika
- sprinkle of ground black pepper
- sprinkle of garlic powder
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- dash of dried thyme
- dash of red pepper flakes
- dash of dried rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I prefer almond milk here)
- minced parsley
- crumbled tempeh bacon or mushroom bacon
- vegan Parmesan cheese
- Lightly spritz a large baking sheet with oil and preheat the oven to 375-degrees.
- Place the potatoes, onion, celery, coconut oil, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and the sprinkles of smoked paprika, pepper, and garlic powder in a large bowl and mix to thoroughly coat the vegetables. Spread the vegetables onto the baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, for about 60-90 minutes. The vegetables should be soft and lightly browned.
- Place the vegetables into a large pot and add the vegetable broth, and the dashes of thyme, rosemary, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes. Put the non-dairy milk and the nutritional yeast in a blender and add some of the broth/vegetable mixture. Process until smooth – or until it’s the consistency you prefer. Pour into a bowl or another pot and process the remaining broth/vegetable mixture.
- Return all of the blended soup into the large pot and gently heat. If the soup is too thick, add water or broth.
- Divide the soup between four small bowls and top with chopped parsley, vegan bacon, and/or vegan Parm.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 433
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 1223
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 58
- Protein: 22
- Cholesterol: 26