With only a touch of oil, this sugar-free, vegan Marbled Banana Bread makes a great snack, or top it with plant-based ice cream & fresh fruit for an easy dessert.
- 1/4 cup chopped Medjool dates, soaked for ~20 minutes, drained
- 3 large, very ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla stevia liquid
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. powdered stevia
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp. NuNaturals Cocoa Syrup or vegan chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and line an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Put the dates, bananas, coconut oil, applesauce, and liquid stevia in a high-speed or regular blender and process until very smooth and thick. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a big bowl if you’re up to stirring by hand), add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, powdered stevia, and salt. Pulse at low speed a few times to combine.
- Scrape the banana mixture into the flour mixture and slowly start the stand mixer. Mix until a thick batter forms, then mix in the nuts, if using. Scoop out about 2/3 of the batter and set it aside. Add the cocoa powder and the chocolate syrup to the remaining batter in the mixer and process until completely combined.
- It’s time to marble. You can either put all of the vanilla batter into the pan and then add the chocolate batter – swirling deep with a knife or spoon – or you can alternate dollops of both batters and then swirl. Either way, swirl and then bake the cake for 55-60 minutes. Check for doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Let the cake rest in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing it (and the parchment) from the pan and letting it cool completely on a wire rack. Or, eat it while it’s still a bit warm.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 234
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 52
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 0