Don’t these cookies look incredible?? These beautiful treats (and gorgeous photo!) were the inspiration for this quick, easy, and healthy shake. One of these days I will veganize that cookie recipe, but in the meantime, this shake features my love for Earl Grey tea and satisfies my cravings for something sweet, something just a little spicy, and something with rich chocolate flavor.
Here are just a few nutritional highlights:
- Keep your system running smoothly with…fiber, fiber, fiber! Two tablespoons will give you a third of your daily fiber need.
- Get some help fending off cancer and the ravages of aging with this antioxidant powerhouse. Small but mighty.
- Adding chia seeds to your morning oatmeal, smoothie, or just whisked into lemon or lime water will help you feel full longer.
- Consuming cacao powder makes you happy with a substance that acts like an anti-depressant.
- High in polyphenols, cacao powder is a cancer-, heart disease-, and aging-fighter!
- Um, HOT CHOCOLATE!
- It’s good for your bones! Regular drinkers of black tea have stronger bones than non-tea drinkers.
- The caffeine in black tea helps stimulate blood flow to the brain and if you’re anything like me, your brain needs all the help it can get!
- The tannins in black tea may help fight off the flu, hepatitis, and dysentery!
Cool and creamy without a hint of guilt, this rich chocolate Earl Grey (tea) shake tames your craving for something sweet and sinful.
- 2 cups Earl Grey tea, chilled
- 2 bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
- 2 Tbsp. cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds, finely ground*
- 2–3 ice cubes
- 5–8 drops vanilla-flavored liquid stevia (or your favorite sweetener, to taste)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed or regular blender and process until smooth. Serve immediately.
- If the shake is too thick, add a splash of water or your favorite non-dairy milk.
- *You don’t have to use ground chia seeds, but whole seeds won’t break down as much and you’ll have little bits of seeds. No biggie, but the ground seeds make for a smoother smoothie.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 17
- Sodium: 15
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 36
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0