This drink started out life as a combination of matcha, mint, and kiwi. It’s true. I thought it sounded like a very good and refreshing set of ingredients, but when I put them all together, well, Kel gave the drink a big thumbs down. I didn’t like it much either, but I wanted to! Now, there is probably a good idea in there that just needs some tweaking to make it come to delicious fruition. But in the meantime, my substitute smoothie was this very simple lemon ginger cream combo that is a nice cooling drink for a hot day.
Let’s give a big round of applause to the stars of this show:
- lots of folks sip warm lemon water in the morning to balance acidity levels in the body; even though lemon starts out acidic, it becomes alkalize-forming in the body
- rich in vitamin C, enjoy lemons when suffering from a nasty cold
- lemon juice can destroy bacteria like listeria, cholera, and typhoid
- contains compounds that slow cancer tumor growth
- sip on ginger tea when feeling nauseated – or if you have a sore throat
- may provide relief from migraine headaches
- minerals found in ginger help maintain normal blood circulation
- may help slow the growth of colorectal cancer cells
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (the kind in the carton, not canned) or almond-coconut milk
- 1/2 cup date paste
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds, ground
- Put all ingredients into a high-speed or regular blender and process until smooth. Divide between 2 glasses and drink immediately – or chill for an hour or so. This will also thicken up the drink a little bit.
- If you like, add a little grated lemon zest
- To grind chia seeds, put them in a coffee/spice grinder and pulse a few times. They break down very quickly.
- To make date paste, soak a bunch of pitted dates in water for 15-30 minutes. Drain and place in a food processor. I add a little bit of water to get things going. Pulse, stop and scrape down the sides of the processor and continue like this until you have a silky smooth paste.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 473
- Sugar: 26
- Sodium: 36
- Fat: 38
- Saturated Fat: 32
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0