This recipe is super-easy and addictive. Fennel and nigella seeds give the vegetables an Indian pickle flavor profile. Roasted cauliflower is always a hit, and here you can try roasted radish as well. I like to use baby red radishes because they make the dish look so colorful. Serve this with Northeastern dals such as odia dal or cholar dal, and with spicy curries that use fennel seeds.
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 15 to 18 small red radishes, sliced (2 to 3 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. safflower or other neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the cauliflower and sliced radish in a large bowl. Add the oil and rub lightly to coat.
- Pulse the fennel, mustard, nigella seeds, pepper flakes and salt to a coarse mixture in a spice grinder or blender. Add them to the vegetables and toss well. Spread the vegetables on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cauliflower is golden and tender to your preference.
- Garnish liberally with cilantro and lemon juice before serving.
- Recipe from Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen Copyright © 2015 by Richa Hingle. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press, LLC.