Clearly I’m taking liberties here with the term latte – but since I’m vegan, I’m comfortable taking all kinds of liberties with food terms like “cheese,” “chik’n,” “meringue,” “omelet,” etc. In this cooling frozen latte, that creamy layer on top isn’t foamed milk, it’s cashew cream (is there anything better, really?) – and it adds richness to the fruity mango beneath it. Mangoes are plentiful right now so Kel and I are eating them to beat the band – and also freezing slices for future snowy-day smoothies. Winter isn’t THAT far off! Mango (nutritional) Madness!:
- Soft and creamy as they are, mangoes have about 3 grams of fiber per cup, helping to keep you all regular-like.
- Get about 35% of your daily Vitamin A (good for eye and bone health) needs with one sweet cup of juicy mangoes.
- That one cup of mango also provides you with 76% of your daily Vitamin C, too!
Cool and creamy, thick and fruity! An easy mango smoothie with a luscious layer of cashew cream “foam.”
- 2 fresh mangos, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 13.6-ounce can lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. ground chia seeds
- 6–10 vanilla-flavored stevia liquid, or your favorite sweetener, to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for 15–30 minutes, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 5–10 drops vanilla-flavored stevia liquid, or your favorite sweetener, to taste
Make the cashew cream
- Put all of the ingredients into a high-speed blender and process until very smooth. Scrape into a measuring cup and set aside.
- No need to clean out the blender before making the mango smoothie.
Make the smoothie
- Put all of the ingredients into a high-speed blender and process until very smooth.
- Divide the smoothie between 4 glasses, leaving about 1/2-inch on top for the cashew cream “foam.” Gently pour the cashew cream on top of the smoothies. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 439
- Sugar: 33
- Sodium: 20
- Fat: 30
- Saturated Fat: 20
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 0