I rarely buy packaged veggie burgers at the store. They usually have too much added fat and not much flavor. Why would I go for store-bought when I can make these flavor-packed burgers in less than 30 minutes? – Del
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup canned fat-free refried beans
- 1 Tbsp. granulated onion
- 3 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 3–4 Tbsp. cornmeal, for baking
- 4 whole grain burger buns, toasted
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Bring the water to a boil in a small pot and add the bulgur. Bring the pot back to a boil, turn off the heat, and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Let it sit for 10 minutes or until the bulgur is tender and all of the water is absorbed.
- Add the bulgur to a bowl with beans, granulated onion, arrowroot powder, soy sauce or tamari, and cumin mix well.
- Divid the burger mixture into four equal parts and shape each part into a ball. Dredge the balls in the cornmeal, shake off the excess, and press them flat into patties.
- Cook the burgers in a nonstick skillet for 5 minutes over medium heat, turn them over, and cook them for 5 minutes more. Alternatively, preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Bake the burgers on a nonstick baking sheet for 20 minutes. Turn them over gently and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Place each patty on the bottom half of a toasted bun and top with the salsa, onion, and avocado.
- Recipe reprinted with permission from Del Sroufe and BenBella Books.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 367
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 1062
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 60
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 0