From my “free with subscription” e-book, TEAse Me, these adorable mini doughnuts have lots of vanilla flavor and can be enjoyed alongside your cup of tea with zero guilt!
- 1 large ripe banana
- ½ cup unsweetened plain vegan yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup pure maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 vanilla tea bags, snipped open and
- contents emptied (discard or compost tea bags)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vegan chocolate
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened sunflower butter
- powdered stevia sweetener, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F. Have two mini doughnut pans ready. (If using coconut sugar, batter will be darker and stickier; you may want to lightly spray pans with oil.) This recipe makes ~24 mini doughnuts.
- In the bowl of a food processor, process the banana, yogurt, vanilla extract, and maple sugar until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, dry tea, baking powder, and vanilla powder. Add the wet ingredients and stir until thoroughly moistened. Scrape the mixture into a pastry bag (see Notes) and pipe batter into doughnut tins. Fill them only about halfway – they’ll puff up nicely.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove and let sit in pans for a couple of minutes before removing gently and letting them cool completely on a wire rack.
Make chocolate coating
- In a double boiler, slowly melt the chocolate and the sunflower butter. When melted, stir in the stevia powder to taste.
- Dip the tops of the doughnuts in the chocolate, swirling to coat, or drizzle to get stripes. Place the doughnuts on a wire rack and let the chocolate set.
D.I.Y. Pastry Bag
- Make your own pastry bag using a quart- or gallon-size food storage bag! Tilt the bag so that one corner faces down, snip off the corner and place the bag into a tall glass, folding the opening of the bag down around the rim of the glass. Now fill bag with batter, twist and squeeze into the doughnut tin.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 14
- Sodium: 9
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 35
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 1