This recipe more than any other showcases the magic of tofu, turmeric, and a little patience. In just a few minutes, scrambled “eggs” will appear before your eyes!
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed well
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 ½ tablespoons non-dairy butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Press the tofu for an hour or more. For this recipe, it is important that the tofu be is as dense as possible so that it holds together during cooking. After pressing, slice into 1/8-inch wide strips. The slices don’t have to be perfect because they will break up during cooking.
- Combine the seasonings in a small bowl. In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the seasonings and the milk. Stir for about 1 minute to make a sauce.
- Add the tofu. Turn the heat up to medium-high. With a metal spatula, alternate gently separating the tofu slices, distributing the sauce, and then letting the slices sit to cook. Continue cooking for 8–10 minutes, depending on how moist or dry you want the scramble.
- Don’t start with a skillet that is too hot. This will cause the butter and seasonings to clump and cook before the tofu is added.
- The dry ingredients for this recipe can be made ahead of time in a large batch. For each block of tofu you cook, measure out 3 ¼ teaspoons of the blend and whisk into the milk and vegan butter.
- Try substituting “black salt” for regular salt for an egg-y aroma and taste.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 326
- Fat: 21
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 12
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Protein: 22
- Cholesterol: 23