Before we get into the comforting, seasonal recipe below – I wanted to let you know about a recent post I contributed to Healthline called Favorite Healthy Finds: An Unrefined Vegan’s Guilt-Free Goodies. Regular readers of my blog will recognize some products, but there are a couple of favorites that I haven’t shared before. Please check it out!
Absolutely no one is going to say, “My what a gorgeous dessert!” when they lock eyes on this bread pudding, but I guarantee you, they will find it to be so delicious they will forget about and forgive its outward appearance.
I love the combination of rich cardamom and toasty coffee. They’re a match made in taste bud heaven. (As witnessed by a couple of my other recipes: Cardamom-Coffee Braid or Coffee Cardamom Waffles.) Cardamom powder, especially when fresh, is pretty powerful stuff, so if you’re uncertain, use the smaller quantity.
A couple of notes on the ingredients. I use NuNaturals outstanding sugar-free Cocoa Syrup and their Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder in the Mocha Sauce, but you can use your favorite vegan chocolate syrup and cocoa/cacao powder instead. The binder here is Follow Your Heart VeganEgg powder which I like for its slightly eggy flavor and texture. I’m not a fan of it “straight up,” (i.e., as scrambled eggs), but combined with other ingredients it works very nicely to mimic real eggs in baked goods, custards and quiches. If you don’t want to use it here or don’t have any, use another egg replacer powder (Bob’s Red Mill’s product comes to mind) or flaxseed meal.
Coffee-Cardamom Bread Pudding w/ Warm Mocha Sauce
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50
It ain’t pretty, but it is absolutely delicious! Serve this easy, comforting bread pudding for brunch, breakfast or even a holiday dessert. The warm mocha sauce takes it to the next level.
- 4 cups bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (stale works best)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp. VeganEgg powder
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla powder
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 2 Tbsp. Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. NuNaturals Cocoa Syrup, or vegan chocolate sauce
Make the pudding
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F and have an 8-inch x 8-inch baking dish ready. No need to spray or coat with oil.
- Place the bread in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the raisins. Set aside.
- In a blender, thoroughly blend the cold water with the VeganEgg. Make sure there are no lumps. Now add the non-dairy milk through the cinnamon and blend again.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the bread and raisins and stir to thoroughly coat the bread. Carefully transfer mixture to the baking pan. Bake pudding for 30-40 minutes or until firm and starting to brown on top.
Make the mocha sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coffee (it helps if it’s warm), cocoa syrup and cocoa powder until smooth.
- To serve, divide the bread pudding – while still warm – among bowls and drizzle with mocha sauce.
- I cube the bread and spread it out on a baking sheet and let it sit overnight so that it gets slightly hard and crispy.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 24
- Sodium: 140
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 42
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 0
There is a creative sauce I could get on board with for a sweet tooth fix and/or dessert!
You pretty much just want to drink the sauce :-)!
Holy Moses, girl, that looks amazing! Gonna surprise my honey when he gets home from a trip this week. Thanks for being such an inspiration to me (and so many others); have a beautiful and safe holiday season.
Hey lady! I hope it was a good surprise :-)!! And same back at you – – have lovely and delicious holiday celebrations.
Oh wow this looks incredible
Ohhhh my lanta. You knoowww I’m all about this coffee treat life. How yummy does this look!? And hearty and warming too. <3
I made your lovely dessert & loved it so much & a late Happy 2018 to you! xxx
Awesome! Thanks, Sophie! xoxo