For unknown reasons, I’ve been on a chocolate + orange kick for the past several months. My go-to weekend waffle recipe is one such example. And when a chocolate (bar) craving hits, I make stevia-sweetened cocoa butter, cacao powder, nut butter, and orange oil mini chocolate cups. I’ll be sharing that recipe in September.
Today it’s muffins that get the chocolate + orange treatment. This recipe is a variation of my Oil-free Multigrain Chocolate Chips or Blueberry Muffins.
Other muffin recipes you may enjoy:
- Whole Grain Banana Muffins with Flaxseeds and Dates
- Chocolate Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins
- Loaded Morning Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Chocolate Mint Cream Cheese Muffins
Oil-free Orange Muffins with Chocolate Chips
Four layers of orange flavor make these quick and easy oil-free and low-sugar muffins a healthy indulgence. Throw in sugar-free chocolate chips and your mouth will be in heaven!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried orange peel, optional
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 heaping Tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. orange oil
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use LIly’s Sweets stevia-sweetened chips)
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F and lightly oil 8 muffin cups.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange peel. In a small bowl whisk together the coconut sugar, orange juice, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, orange oil, and orange zest.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix until there are no dry bits. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the prepared tins. I fill any empty muffin tins about halfway with water for even baking, but it’s not necessary. Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean (unless it hits a chocolate chip!).
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, then gently extract them and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Replace the chocolate chips with chopped nuts, raisins, or dried cherries.
Keywords: muffins, snack, dessert, orange, chocolate, chocolate chips, baking, orange muffins, plant-based, vegan
COMING UP NEXT: