Whisking well is the key to a creamy, classic tapioca pudding. Be sure to get the large pearls!
- 1/2 cup large pearl tapioca
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4–1/3 cup purecane or your favorite sweetener, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Follow Your Heart VeganEgg + 1/2 cup very cold water, whisked until silky smooth
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- coconut whipped cream, optional
- cacao nibs, optional
- fresh fruit, optional
- Soak tapioca in 2 cups of cool water for about 8 hours. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar into the VeganEgg mixture. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, heat the milks until warm, stir in the salt and tapioca.
- Heat only until bubbles appear along the side, cover and cook on very low heat for about one hour. Don’t let the mixture boil.
- After an hour, add a small amount of the hot tapioca to the VeganEgg mixture. Whisk very well. Add a little more and whisk again. Try to avoid creating lumps of cooked “egg.”
- Now add that mixture into the tapioca and whisk, whisk, whisk!
- Cook tapioca for another 10-15 minutes or until very thick.
- Remove tapioca from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Divide mixture between pudding cups and chill, or serve warm.
- Top with coconut whipped cream, cacao nibs, or fruit.
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.
Keywords: vegan, tapioca, pudding, tapioca pudding, gluten-free, easy, oil-free