Sadly, I have to begin this post with an apology. It’s mid-November and that means we have been well into pumpkin everything for a while now. This recipe contains nary a teaspoon of curcurbito pepo. It does, however, include classic pumpkin pie flavors: cinnamon, cardamom, anise, and clove. And you have to admit, the beautiful, bright color is perfect for fall.
My “slightly different” golden milk is a bonus recipe from my 2016 book, TEAse Me, which formerly was available only as a PDF download. Over the summer, I did a little updating and correcting, as well as some spiffing up. Then I turned it into a full-color, 8.5″ x 11″, 73-page paperback available from Amazon. If you love tea as much as do, you’ll enjoy TEAse Me.
A Slightly Different Golden Milk Recipe
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegan
My “slightly different” golden milk has a hint of orange that complements the sultry spices and creamy nut milk. Delicious and good for you, this cold weather beverage is comfort in a mug.
- 1 cup water
- 1 orange spice teabag (I use Stash brand)
- 1-inch knob ginger root, roughly chopped
- zest of 1/2 an orange, optional
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 –1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 whole star anise
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- sweetener, to taste (I use NuNaturals Vanilla Syrup)
- Pour the water into a medium-sized saucepan, cut open the teabag and add the contents. Add the ginger root, zest, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom pods, star anise, cloves, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and add the non-dairy milk. Cover and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully strain the solids from the pan and discard.
- Add sweetener, taste, and adjust. Gently re-heat and divide the golden milk between two mugs.
This recipe contains Amazon Affiliate links.
Keywords: beverage, golden milk, turmeric, spices, cinnamon, star anise, clove, cardamom, easy
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.
COMING UP NEXT:
THROWBACK RECIPE, DECEMBER 2016: